May 4, 2007

Changes...


Changes happen in everyone’s life and mine is no exception. There are a lot of changes going on in my house. From new cars, to the possibility of job changes for my husband. For some, changes as dramatic as a job change can be very stressful. For me, this is an exciting time.

Currently, my husband is self-employed. For those of you out there who are also self-employed, you know that while there are some very wonderful things about it (making your own hours, no boss to answer to, etc), there are a few down sides. Well, my husband is working on a deal that would give him the good things about being self-employed, while eliminating most of the bad things.

This would be a very big change for this house. Very. Big.

But as I said, I am excited. You see, besides writing, I also keep the books for my husband’s business. I do bill paying, taxes, billing of customers, etc. During the planning and negotiations about this job change, it has come up that they might like me to move my bookkeeping duties from my home to the new place of business.

Yup, I would be employed. GULP! I haven’t worked outside of the home in thirteen years. Yes, you read that correctly, thirteen! Could I handle it? Of course. After all, it’s nothing that I don’t do now for the business. But it would be a change. A big change.

I’m spoiled, I know, because my first thought is: “I don’t want to give up the freedom I have right now.” At the moment, if I want to take my kids to the beach, I shut down the computer and take them. If I want to set aside billing for an hour and watch a show on television, I do it. If I want to chat online in the middle of the day, no problem.

But there are upsides to this change as well. Tempting enough that I will give it much thought. If I make the change, I will have to re-train myself, actually get one of those schedules that my friend, Jennifer Talty talks about. Yikes! Me? Structured? I usually fly by the seat of my pants.

The biggest change, of course, will be in my writing time. That’s where I would have to make the most changes. And, perhaps, that would be a good thing. To have a structured writing time, a time that I sit down at the computer and write every day. Yeah, that could work for me.

Maybe. I’ll have to think about this some more.

0 comments: