August 20, 2010

Spotlight On... JM Stewart


Please help me welcome author JM Stewart to the keyboard today. Welcome, JM, can you tell us a little about yourself?

Hi Sarah! Thanks for having me. About me… I live in the rainy Great Northwest, where it rains over 300 days a year. The rain doesn’t bother me so much, but I miss the sun. sigh. Been married to my hubby for fourteen years this year, and we have two boys, the oldest of which made me old this year by learning how to drive. I’m a stay-at-home mom, which means that during the day in between household chores I have lots of time to devote to my writing.


Your debut novel, STAKING HIS CLAIM, just released. Tell us about it and where we can find it.

STAKING HIS CLAIM is a best friends story. What happens when two people who have known each other all their lives realize their feelings for each other have changed.

Here’s the blurb:

Kyle Morgan’s in love with his best friend. Unfortunately, he’s honor bound to keep a secret from her that not only prevents him from confessing his feelings, but also has the power to destroy their relationship.


Cecelia Anton has only ever wanted one thing—to find the answers to her mysterious past. But the search leads her into the arms of her best friend. While the attraction frightens her, she can’t deny the way he makes her feel.


The deep connection they share as friends only heightens the passion, forcing them to reevaluate their relationship. Are they willing to risk their lifelong friendship for the promise of love?

You can find it at the Wild Rose Press  
A kindle version is also available at Amazon
Read an Excerpt


How did you start writing?

I’ve always written short stories for as long as I can remember. I’ve always loved reading and writing. But I started writing seriously about ten years ago. I had a dream, one that demanded to be written down, and as I wrote, this story began to reveal itself. That slowly became my first novel, which oddly enough, was a young adult story. But I’ve been hooked ever since.


Describe your writing in three words.

Sweet. Spicy. Emotional.


What are you passionate about?

My writing. I love creating the stories, diving into each new set of characters, in hopes of sharing their stories with the world.

But, since I’ve already let the proverbial cat out of the bag on my blog, I’m also passionate about angels. I believe in them. Have had many experiences and I just adore them.


How do you approach your writing, are you a plotter or a pantser?

I’m a bit of both. I have to know a teensy bit about where I’m going before I can start. I usually have to know who my characters are, what the basic premise of the story is, the beginning and the ending. And then I just jump in and go from there, panster style.


Who are your favorite authors? What are you reading now?

I’m in between books right now, so I’m not reading anything. Am still trying to decide which book to dive into next.

My favorite author of all time is Diana Gabaldon. Her Outlander series completely hooked me. I’m hooked on the characters. But I also love reading category romance. Karen Templeton and Bronwyn Jameson are a couple of favorites also. I also love Avon Historicals, though I don’t have a favorite author.


What is next for you?

Right now I’ve got two books out with editors, waiting for a yay or nay, and I’ve just finished writing the sequel to one of those books. I’d love to finish the sequel to Staking His Claim, Kyle’s sister Becca’s story, but the story needs a complete overhaul, and I haven’t decided if I’m ready to dive into that yet. So I’m kind of in the middle of projects at the moment, trying to decide where to go next. I have a few ideas brewing though, and am sort of just letting it all stew, until something grabs me.


Where can we find you on the web?

Here’s my website:   http://jmstewart.webs.com/

And my blog:   http://jm-stewart.blogspot.com/


Is there anything you would like to ask our readers?

I’d love to hear from them, honestly. You can find my email address on my website. I’d honestly love to know how they’re reacting to the book.

Thank you for having me, Sarah.

Thanks for visiting with us today, JM.

1 comments:

Empi said...

Hi Joanne,

Good to see you here. Best friends to lovers is always tricky and I thought you did a great job of it in Staking his Claim. Cecilia’s past also added a twist [I don’t want to spoil it for other readers, so this is all I’ll say] :-)

My writing style is similar to yours. I tend to be a pantser while writing, but I find it easier when I know my characters, the basic premise of the story and the beginning.

The end tends to change from what I start with, so now I leave it open-ended. Funny thing is when I try to over-plot (figure it all out before I start), I just feel stuck and the story goes nowhere. So I’m going to keep being more pantser than plotter.

I’m currently reading an old Karen Templeton titled The Prodigal Valentine. Have you read it?

Empi